I have been in a bit of a funk for the past two years. As a result, my list of UFOs (Unfinished Objects) is growing. I have not added many finished quilts to my list of completed projects. The quilting group I am in is called Harmony and is part of do. Good Stitches, a group that makes charity quilts. I get to pick the block used for a quilt two times a year, and that month each group member sends me two blocks. I get about 20 blocks. That is why I am so excited to have finished this charity quilt. I plan to donate the quilt to Project Linus next week. My local shop has a drop-off, so I get to shop for fabric while I do a good deed. I can’t think of a more perfect way to spend a couple of hours.
Making The Charity Quilt
This quilt was so much fun to make. It is the perfect scrap buster!! The blocks are from a tutorial by Mama Love Quilts. It is wonderfully easy. No points to match up, so that is a plus. The quilt is improvisational and has endless possibilities. I decided to take the more obvious path and keep all the blocks going in the same direction. If you want to make this quilt, too, you can head over to the Spoonflower website.
I love the vibe coming off this quilt – modern and organic. The colors I requested to be in each block were blues, teals, greens, and yellows. Very beachie and tranquil. I sent my group this image as a color pallet inspiration. All the scraps blend nicely and will be perfect for a girl or boy going through a rough time in their life. I truly love making charity quilts, and I hope mine provides comfort and smiles.
The Quilt Design
There are a lot of fun fabrics used in the quilt, such as my favorite, the French Bulldogs, designed by The Tattooed Quilter, aka Christopher Thompson, from his Carolina line. It was a hard scrap to use because I grew attached to it. I tend to laugh at myself because I get attached to my fabrics. As soon as I use one that I have been saving, I miss it and look for a replacement exactly like the original one. Unfortunately, some fabrics are no longer available if too much time has passed.
Finishing The Quilt
To finish my quilt, I really wanted to test out a new quilting pattern. I kind of love experimenting with quilting designs on charity quilts. Lately, I’ve been feeling inspired by all the house plants I bought over the pandemic and a drawing I created for Christmas a few years back. Both made me think that leaves would be a perfect pattern to add to my quilt. I used my domestic BERNINA 440 with the BSR foot (BERNINA Stitch regulator) to quilt the leaf pattern, and I will definitely use this pattern on another quilt because it is easy to do and creates so much texture and movement.
One charity quilt down… and I now have enough block sets ready to make four more quilts. To see more charitable work I have done in the past click here. Wish me luck!